Collaboration between companies and contractors just got easier on Moonlight. For the past couple of weeks, we have been releasing many new features to improve collaboration between clients and developers. Today, we are ready to share what we have been building!
As companies hired developers through Moonlight, we saw that using email was an ineffective method of communication. The process was disconnected from Moonlight, and it meant that we did not have visibility into whether users were fulfilling their goals.
We decided to build a messaging system using the tool that our developers and clients already use - Slack! Now, all clients and developers get invited to a private Moonlight Slack community. When a client hires or interviews a developer, they get a shared, private Slack channel. Plus, using Slack means that users get access to native apps across multiple platforms and mobile push notifications.
To deeply integrate messaging with the hiring experience, we built full web chat support into moonlightwork.com. Web chat allows all users to view and participate in message channels through our website, even if they have not yet set up a Slack account. It works by mirroring all channels and discussions into the app. Our goal is to make web chat do everything that Slack does.
Chat also allows us a new channel for project notifications. Moonbot now messages Slack users and channels about job matches, invoices, and payments. We plan to extend messaging in the future as an alternative to email for most notifications.
How to start collaborating with experienced developers:
- Post a job on Moonlight to collect proposals from qualified contractors.
- Select who you want to work with. You’ll be able to chat with anyone who seems like a good fit before you decide on a hire.
- Once the project begins, you’ll have a private channel to coordinate. The contractor will bill hours through the app, and companies can review and approve invoices each Monday.
- End the project at any time, it’s the most flexible way to work.
Messaging best practices:
- Keep in touch each day that work is completed. Sharing incremental progress is the best way to make sure each member of the team is on the same page.
- Add relevant coworkers to your Moonlight company to give them access to job chat channels. Make sure everyone working on the task at hand has access to the project so they can chat with developers.
- To protect your work, make sure to communicate via Moonlight web chat or Slack. This gives us visibility into milestones, and makes sure we can help if any issues arise.
Please reach out to email@example.com if you have any feedback!